Monday, March 17, 2008

What a weekend!

No more of this "Take, take, take" garbage. This weekend we gave back.
6 of us gathered at the 8:00 hour (which wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for Daylight Savings Time) at Forest Park to give a little back.
We set out down the road with about 40 other people to clean up and restore this little area off the side of Germantown Rd. We went to work mercilessly ripping up Ivy and Blackberry with our gloved hands (and some other tools). Once we had scoured that clean, we planted things. This turned out to be a bigger challenge than expected. Turns out under that nice, pretty soil was ROCK. Like almost all rock. Shovels were useless against this rock. It took brute force and blows with a pickaxe (what the heck was the name of that tool?) to break it out of there.
Soon, the area was teeming with newly planted salmon berry, ferns and indian plum. Quite lovely.
The crew was SO amazing, we still had time after all of that, so some people went up the road with garbage bags to pick up trash, and others went across the road to rescue a few more trees that were ivy-choked. Pete was awesome and loaded up his truck to take stuff to the dump at his own expense. What a guy! Someday, we'll go dine on salmonberries there....
Topped it off with a trip to the Lucy warehouse sale. VERY worth it. Cleaned up with a skirt, 2 sports bras, bermuda shorts and 3 other pairs of dressy shorts for $45! Very worth it!

Of course, that wasn't enough for the orsportgirl. Sunday morning ALSO started way too early. Picked up Stephanie and headed downtown to the 30th annual Shamrock Run. No way was I letting this belly get in my way. Except the fact that I wouldn't be running.
So at 8:05 a.m., Stephanie and I started the 5k with a brief jog, followed by a QUICK walk. Turns out Stephanie had never done a 5K before, so that was exciting. Also turns out that even FAST walking leaves you at the back of the pack-which was nice! Wide open streets, not tripping all over people. Jogged a little more on the downhill-thanks to a potty break at about mile 2-and jogged it into the finish. Watch time had us under 45 minutes! Don't know chip time yet.

And of course, rewarded ourselves with a visit to St. Honore afterwards. Yum. Then a nap, some cleaning, another nap, then pizza night. What a weekend!

No comments: