Monday, March 31, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Why yes-the calendar DOES say the end of March. Have we had at least a little bit of snow mixed in with the rain every day for the past 5 days now? You betcha!
Nothing sticking down here, but Friday morning went from a little snow with the rain, to more snow, to SNOW! Extended my walk at Laurelhurst a little so we could enjoy the epic snow a little longer! It was hard to get my behind to work with it still snowing out so much. I just wanted to sit and watch it.

Of course the good news is that snow down here means POWDER in the Mountains. So, when I got up at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday (it would have been 5:45 but Steve was going to go up BEFORE work with a co-worker-that didn't end up happening) and headed out to the Mt. for Girl Scout Ski Day it wasn't completely unpalatable.
Snow covered roads made for a slightly treacherous drive, but I still made good time and was only 2 rows back this week. So, after getting our tickets, I set up in the lodge to wait for people checking-in. Which means I have an incredible view of the Mt. from Mt. Hood Express over to yellow chair. And it's so early nothing's running yet. Then, I see the first skier making the first tracks down the untouched snow. Then another. And, so I have to watch the Mt. go from totally untracked to "there might still be some powder here somewhere if you look really hard" over the course of the morning.
Oh well. I finally make it out and get 6 runs in. 5 on Ridge Run where I can still find a little bit of powder off to the side of the run. Pretty chunked up, so it's hard to ski in it, but, there are still some nice little "floaty" places that make you know why snowboarding in powder is so unbeatable!
Top it off with a b'day party for Drew and Sarah. Tell you what. It kind of sucks to be the only sober one at the end of the night. While a conversation about who would win, a wolverine or an ant of the same proportions (those pincers, man) is just really not that fun to participate in. I shall remember that and try and be less obnoxious at the next function where someone else is stuck being sober!
Then a good, long 2 + hour walk to Wilshire park and back with the dog on Sunday morning.
I love this town.

No comments: